Popular Posts

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Core Vinyasa Flow (1st class) @ Cityoga

So I've taken advantage of a local Groupon deal for a 5 class pass to Cityoga here in Indianapolis. It's a little bit of a drive for me, but it's a great opportunity to try some new classes (and Cityoga has a lot of offerings).

The 1st class I tried was Core Vinyasa Flow. I'm most familiar with Vinyasa work so there were not a whole lot of surprises, but the Cityoga studio was new to me.

The class: About 7 people in the class. It was a pretty typical practice, with a focus on how each pose is approached. So for instance triangle pose was approached first from the top, then the middle then the bottom. It was interesting to see the different ways in which you could flow into a pose. It's definitely useful for when you practice on your own, so that the flow can go on uninterrupted because you don't know where to go next (there's always somewhere to go!).  I expected to do more core work as in targeting the abs but perhaps that is not what they meant by 'core'? Regardless, my hamstrings have been burning for about 2 days! I definitely worked up a sweat, and it was high impact enough that I would go again. Robbin was also a great teacher, very easy to follow.

The studio: Cityoga has 2 studios, a large windowed studio and a hot yoga studio, both with wooden floors, and fairly plain decor. It's a really nice set-up with a very spacious lobby. I was impressed by how well put-together the studio seemed to be. I think my only deterrent to becoming a regular frequenter of the studio is the price-- its $15 for individual classes, $65 for 5 classes, $120 for 10 classes, and so on. They do occasionally have "community" classes for $5 and $10 so once my Groupon runs out I will try to attend those. $15 may not seem like a lot, but for a girl on a budget it sure is! The great thing about this studio is the variety of styles of yoga they offer. (Hot Yoga, Vinyasa Flow, Slow Flow, Core Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Kundalini-just to name a few). They also frequently hold unique workshops (I'd love to try Acroyoga) and they allow you to schedule classes online (with payment) in advance.


Overall, I came away very happy with the class. I felt like I got a workout but it was also spiritually refreshing and centering as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment